When you arrive in Nijmegen or the surrounding area and you are not receiving any assistance from a relocation service when settling in, please take note of the following important issues you must take care of.

Registering with the municipality
When you register with the local municipality, you are provided with a social security number (“Burger Service Nummer”, or BSN). This number is essential for all your dealings with authorities and services during your stay in the Netherlands. Furthermore, you can apply for a DIGID (Digital ID), allowing you to access government services online. This includes for instance tax forms and applications for financial support you might qualify for. Your DIGID is personal and confidential; never hand over the data to someone else!

Registering for a doctor/dentist
After your registration at the municipality you can also apply for a doctor and dentist. These have to be located in the area you live in. A visit to a General Practitioner will be covered by your health insurance for most of the times. Some medication you will have to pay for yourself. A visit to the dentist is not part of the standard coverage, though you can include this option at additional cost.

Buying a bike
An essential part of the settling-in process is, of course, buying a bike – given how almost everyone here has at least one. A large number of shops in and around Nijmegen offer second hand bikes. Just in the vicinity of the city centre there are already dozens (KAART OP WEBSITE?). More information about biking and traffic can be found under Biking and Transport (LINK)

Getting an OV-Chip-Card
To use public transport, you need an “OV-chip-card”. This is a single card which can be used in all public transport in the country. It can be bought at the ticket desk and machines at train stations, in bookstores or online, for €7,50. You then charge it with money, allowing you to check in at the transport of your choice. To use a train, you need a minimum of €20 on your card; this amount differs between modes of transport. Charging is done at machines in train stations and in some shops. If you have a personalized card, you can also charge it online. Note that you need a Dutch bank account if you want to apply for such a card. Click here if you want to buy a card.

News & Updates

BSR - municipality taxes

Recently you might have received an email of the Belasting Service Rivierenland (BSR) that requests you to  pay a certain amount in 2 terms. This is for the municipality tax. 
The BSR is a tax for the water regulation, pollution tax, etc. You usually pay the tenancy part. If you don't have received any mail; it might have been sent to your DigID account! 


Where to go


Once you are settled in Nijmegen, you would like to know where to go. We will advice you where you should go to eat, sip, and find the best spots to go in the Nijmegen area.

Read more ...


Finding a House

The Expatdesk Nijmegen is specialized in renting and letting housing accommodations for expats. Over more then 10 years of experience with helping expats to find the right house in Nijmegen or surroundings.
Trough this website you'll find the necessary information that you need once you need a (temporary) housing accommodation in Nijmegen.

Read more ...